Imagine your LinkedIn profile as a professional landing page for you to market your personal brand. Your profile is a great way for you to let people know who you are, what you stand for, and what you are interested in. Plus, it gives them a little bit of insight into your history and past experience. In today’s world, having a LinkedIn profile is an important part to any career search. With that being said, we are going to help, by reviewing some tips for setting up the perfect LinkedIn profile.
What is LinkedIn?
You likely are not going to dive into creating a LinkedIn profile without first understanding what LinkedIn is. We are going to briefly review, in case you don’t currently have LinkedIn, and/or are unfamiliar with it.
LinkedIn is the world’s largest professional network on the Internet. You can use LinkedIn to find the right job or internship, connect and strengthen professional relationships, and learn the skills you need to succeed in your career. You can access LinkedIn from a desktop, LinkedIn mobile app, or mobile web experience.
Like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and a dozen others, LinkedIn is a social network. Unlike most other social networks, LinkedIn is a professional networking site, designed to help people make business connections, share their experiences and resumes, and find jobs. The focus is on professional experience and networking.
Tips for Setting up the Perfect LinkedIn Profile
By having a LinkedIn profile you are able to manage your professional brand, create new opportunities and connections, and build your network and track your professional history. Since LinkedIn is a social network that is focused on professional connections, creating your profile is much different than the other social networking sites you may use.
Use the below tips to make a great LinkedIn profile.
- Add a professional photo: Having a good profile photo increases the credibility of your profile and it will help you stand out from other users. LinkedIn members with a profile photo get up to 21 times more views and 9 times more connection requests than someone without a photo.
- Make your headline stand out: Your headline is created when you add your positions to your profile. Make sure to add the exact job position with a short description. Your headline will be one of the first things to make an impression on people who view your profile.
- Include a summary: The “About” section of your profile should express your future desires, motivations, and skills. Limit the text to one or two paragraphs to keep the reader interested. You can also use bullet points to highlight the main items you want to be seen.
- Add all relevant work and education: Keep your profile updated with all of your professional experiences that align with your current career goals. Don’t forgot to update your profile when you change jobs, graduate, or get a promotion.
- Incorporate applicable skills: A list of relevant skills on your profile helps you showcase your abilities and helps others understand your strengths. Once you have added skills, your connections can endorse them, which will increase the likelihood of you being discovered for opportunities related to those skills.
- Request recommendations: A recommendation is written to recognize or commend a connection. Recommendations are basically a digital reference for you to help you stand out. There is no limit to the number of recommendations you request or have on your profile.
By using the above tips for setting up the perfect LinkedIn profile, you can get a jump start on your career search and building your professional network.
At Mackinnon & Partners, we can help take your career search to the next level. We aim to provide first class candidates to a variety of emerging and established markets with a wealth of knowledge in the renewables, oil and gas, and construction industries both on and offshore. Our consultants are sector specialists and passionate advocates for the renewables economy. Our team of experts allows us to provide our clients and candidates with exceptional support.
We aim for a seamless and hassle-free recruitment process with the right candidates presented the first time. Contact us to start finding your career today.
- What is the Manufacturing Jobs Outlook for 2023? - May 23, 2023
- What Jobs does Solar Energy Create? - May 15, 2023
- Solar Energy Jobs - May 1, 2023