Sustainable development is defined as ‘development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.’
Of course, a large part of sustainable development is environmentally focused. This includes ensuring the environment and the planet are sustained to a point where they can continue to meet the needs of those future generations. This means a move away from the use of fossil fuels and a focus on living and working in a way that does not threaten the future of the planet.
In fact, when it comes to sustainable development and the environment, these are the common goals that need to be met in order for sustainable development to continue:
- Stop climate change and end its most devastating effects
- Protect and restore the planet’s environment and natural resources
Achieving these goals will continue to be a work in progress for years to come, but working towards doing so means creating an economy that puts green jobs on a pedestal.
But why are green jobs so essential for sustainable development? And how can you play a part in creating a more sustainable future?
Are green jobs essential for sustainable development?
In short, yes. Creating a more sustainable future means building an economy driven by jobs designed to protect our natural resources.
These jobs ‘reduce the environmental impact of enterprises and economic sectors, ultimately to levels that are sustainable’, meaning they contribute invaluably to sustainable development overall.
CDP Online suggests that green jobs do this by:
- Improving the efficiency of energy and raw materials
- Minimising waste pollution
- Limiting greenhouse gas emissions
- Protecting and restoring ecosystems
This is already being achieved by the growing green job economy, with the sector reaching 12.7 million jobs in 2021. These roles are made up of those specifically designed to impact the environment in some way, while others are existing roles that have been modified to better align with the green approach.
Some of the most popular green jobs currently include:
- Solar panel installers, allowing the growing solar energy industry to keep up with increased demand
- Electric vehicle engineers, accommodating the preference shift to electric vehicles as governments put policies in place to halt the sale of new diesel and petrol vehicles
- Environmental scientists, allowing for the development of new ideas and technologies designed to contribute to a more sustainable future
Without green jobs, it would be challenging for the sustainable development goals to be achieved, meaning green jobs really do play a pivotal role in the future of our planet.
Want to play a part in Sustainable Development?
If you’re looking to fulfil a rewarding role that directly contributes to sustainable development and the overall future of our planet, a green job could be for you.
In particular, roles in renewable energy allow you to have an impact while also embarking on a career that will allow for both personal and financial fulfilment.
Here at Mackinnon & Partners, we help you find your perfect renewable energy role. For more information and to kickstart your green career, please do not hesitate to get in touch.
- What is the Manufacturing Jobs Outlook for 2023? - May 23, 2023
- What Jobs does Solar Energy Create? - May 15, 2023
- Solar Energy Jobs - May 1, 2023