When it comes to finding a new career, selecting the right career path is vital. Being happy with your job is one of the most important things in your life. When you are in search of a career, it’s about so much more than deciding what you will do to make a living. The average American spends 1/3 of their life at work, that’s about 90,000 hours in their lifetime. Because so much time is spent at work and in our careers, we are going to review some tips for selecting a career path that is right for you and further explore its significance.
Why is Selecting the Right Career Path Important?
Did you know that only about half of American workers are satisfied with their job? If you don’t select the right career path for you, you could be unhappy and unfulfilled for over 30% of your life, making selecting the right career path very imperative.
Tips for Selecting the Right Career Path for You
When choosing your career path, you should account for your goals, future plans, and personality. Really take time to think about and reflect on the things that make you happy and what you want to accomplish. By considering the above 3 factors, it can help you choose the right starting role and lead you to continue to make strategic decisions over time.
When determining your goals, outlining your future vision, and thinking about your personality, try some of the below tips.
- Create an outline of your career goals. Write down what you want to do in your career. Be as specific as possible. If you don’t have a lot of goals right now, that’s okay, you can add to this list over time and with experience.
- Discover your personality type. If you have never taken a personality test, they can be a good option to help you really get to know you and your strengths, desires, and types of careers that could be best suited for you. If you know your personality like the back of your hand, write down your strengths and weaknesses, also note things you enjoy and those you dislike.
- Review previous experiences. Think about previous roles you have held. What did you like about them? What did you dislike? What made you successful or not? There could have been something you did in your past that really made you feel happy and fulfilled, identifying that is your first step to selecting the right career path for you.
- Compare job requirements to your education. When you are looking at new careers, you want to find something that aligns with your education and experiences. If you have changed your mind about what you want to do, that’s okay, but ensure that you meet the minimum requirements of a role before applying.
- Access your current skillset. Keep your piece of paper out and write down the key skills you already have. If you have your resume handy, your skills should already be noted there, so that is a good starting point.
- Identify your core values. Selecting a career path and an organization is just as much about aligning with your core values, as it is about the actual role. If you aren’t on board with something, or the career/company does something that is outside of your values, you will not be happy. Know what is a deal breaker for you.
A career path is made up of the positions you hold as you grow in your profession. This can start with a college degree, or your first role. As you gain additional knowledge and skills, you may progress or move into more advanced roles in the same field. It is also completely normal to change your career path as you learn what you like and what works and doesn’t work for you.
When it comes to your career, the most important thing, is selecting the right career path for you. If you aren’t happy in your career, over 30% of your time, you will be unsatisfied. Keep in mind, there are so many different careers out there, that you are sure to find one that is right for you, so you should.
How Mackinnon & Partners Can Help You Choose the Correct Career Path
At Mackinnon & Partners, our consultants are industry experts and passionate advocates for the renewables sector. Our team of experts allows us to provide our clients and candidates with exceptional support. By following through with our consultants, they will open the door to your exciting future.
Our consultants will gather your past experiences, learn what you enjoyed, tailor your passion to your career, and place you in an amazing opportunity that is selected for you.